THE OUIJA BOARD PAGE
Ouija Board: An Overview:
The Ouija Board, pronounced "Weeja" is a board which became commercially available in 1890 and was generally considered a fun and harmless parlor game completely unrelated to the spirit world. The board generally consists of a wooden board with the letters A-Z, numbers 0-9 and the words "Yes" and "No" (sometimes "Hello" and "Goodbye") and a planchette (heart shaped piece of wood) used as an indicator which can point to the letters and numbers to spell out words.
The name "ouija" itself was originally coined as being of Egyptian origin and meaning "Good Luck". A more accepted explanation is that of the word consisting of combination of the French and German words for "Yes".
In 1890, 2 businessmen Elijah Bond and Charles Kennard patented "a planchette sold with a board" and thus became the founders of first Ouija Board, although this name was not yet created.
In 1901, William Fuld, an employee of Kennard took over production of the board and actually began making his own boards, using the name “Ouija”. (It was Kennard who claimed he had learned the name Ouija was Egyptian, but Fuld who popularized the more accepted etymology of the combination of French and German "Yes".
Fuld eventually reinvented the Board, even claiming himself to be the inventor. The board became so popular by the 1920's that many other companies were producing their own boards using the "Ouija" name. Fuld ended up suing a number of companies over the use of the "Ouija" name and concept, even up to his death in 1927.